Did You Know These Redlands Airport Facts?
History of Redlands Airport
Civil Aviation has been a part of Redlands, California since the first known “air meet” was held at the University of Redlands in 1911. Among the area’s first notable aviation figures was Mr. Beryl Williams who founded the Redlands Aircraft Company in 1916. He later moved the business to Riverside and changed the company name to the Riverside Aircraft Company. Williams is best remembered at the time for painting his bi-plane with seven coats of light blue paint so it would not be visible from the ground.
While we know that Redlands had a history of early aviation, little is known about any formal airstrip serving the Redlands community. Then again, in the early days of aviation, farmer’s fields served as airstrips for most pilots.
It wasn’t until 1947, when Robert Kanaga and Austin Welch built the Redlands Flying Inn Airport that Redlands had its first formal airport. Kanaga and Welch constructed a 3,500 foot runway, a maintenance shop, and a hangar (a Quonset style building occupied by Red Aero today).