Our History and Purpose
The Redlands Airport Association (RAA) was founded in 2014. It was organized by users and friends of Redlands Municipal Airport (REI) to advocate for its use. Founders were concerned about various issues that were impacting aviation safety, economic viability, and longevity of REI. The purpose for the creation of the RAA is that it is necessary to deal with current and future issues of interest to the pilot and aviation community at REI.
In 2015 the Redlands Airport Association became a Chapter of the California Pilots Association (CalPilots). We share their purpose including:
- The advancement of the public understanding and interest in beneficial use and utilization of aviation in California.
- Conducting seminars to inform members of the public of uses and services of aircraft.
- Conducting training for persons desiring increased proficiency for flight safety.
- Providing technical and operational information to public officials regarding aviation safety regulation and airport land use zoning.
- Promoting the preservation and enhancement of California public airports.
The Redlands Airport Association provides “Tier 1” local support for CalPilots’ Three-Tiered Airport Defense strategy.
Why We Advocate For Our Airport
General Aviation (GA) airports are under attack from development and land use issues. Airport sponsors (owners) and the public don’t understand an airports contributions to the economy, as well as the state and federal transportation infrastructure. Unfortunately, this lack of understanding fosters the perception that airports are for the rich and not the general public, which is simply not true.
Airports when originally built were placed in sparsely developed areas. As areas develop, airports deal with inappropriate development proposals. Airport sponsors sometimes approve these incompatible developments because they don’t recognize the impacts of, or simply ignore them due to developer pressure to approve their development. The result is our GA airports are being closed at an alarming rate.
Here’s a Partial List of Local GA Airports That Have or are Going To Close: Meadowlark Field – Huntington Beach, Tri-City – San Bernardino Shandin Hills – San Bernardino, Lincoln Field – Yucaipa, Gilfillan Airport – Fontana, Miro Field – Rialto, Lake Arrowhead Airport, Santa Monica Airport, Banning Municipal Airport
The Mission of the RAA:
- To advocate for all users of REI.
- To promote, support, and encourage the continued use of REI.
- To communicate the airport’s importance to the community
- To educate airport users of relevant regulatory and legislative airport/aviation matters.
- To provide a forum whereby those concerned about REI issues can voice their concerns.
- To advise the appropriate authorities regarding safety, security, and other concerns at the airport.
- To support government authorities in carrying out their duties regarding aviation and the utilization of REI in disasters, and public service events
Officers & Directors
Theodore J. Gablin President
Phillip Ensley Vice-President
Robert O’Connor Treasurer
Cindy L. Gablin Secretary
Vacant Safety Officer
Walt Ferar Director
Sherry Ferar Director
Do You Want to Help or Join the RAA?
Contact us at: Redlands.Airport.Association@gmail.com